Tee Roy’s 13 Life Tips
As children, we are taught to play fair, share, all good deeds are rewarded, and whenever things don’t go your way, throw a good tantrum.
Too bad life isn’t that way…
I was once asked to give advice to a group of incoming freshmen at a college. The best I could come up with was “The easiest part of your life is now over. Things are about to get much more hectic, you’ll be faced with some tough times, and you can’t count on or blame anybody else. The best advice I have is – Don’t dwell on how good life used to be, but be happy for how your life is. You’re only promised today – tomorrow is a bonus”.
I wasn’t asked back.
Throughout my time on this planet, I’ve learned some ways to make the days more enjoyable. I’ve also learned some hard lessons (mistakes) that have changed my outlook on life. Below are 13 life tips that will, hopefully, help you the same way they’ve helped me:
1. Always take gum when it’s offered – You never know what the person is trying to tell you.
2. Always treat law officers with the utmost respect – But never admit to anything.
3. If you don’t like something, don’t do it, or leave – Too many times, people assume that just because they don’t like something, that no one else will. That’s just ignorant – we’re all wired differently, and just because you are adverse to it, doesn’t mean you have to ruin somebody else’s good time. If it doesn’t hurt you, why do you care?
4. Mind your own business – See above.
5. Go at least one day a week without wearing underwear – Trust me, you’ll thank me for this.
6. When things are really tough, look at the bright side – No matter where you are at in life, there’s somebody out there who would love to trade with you. At most, today’s issues are tomorrow’s memories.
7. Smile at random people for no reason whatsoever – You’d be surprised how a random grin will affect somebody else. And yourself, for that matter.
8. Be weird at least one time every day – If you don’t take yourself so seriously all of the time, you’ll start to see that there’s more to life than the way people perceive you. After all, it’s not your business what other people think of you.
9. Treat social media as a place to be…social – Facebook, Twitter, etc. are not online diaries. If you constantly are online whining and complaining, people start to recognize that, and treat you as the child you’re acting like.
10. Treat every mistake as a lesson – But make sure you never learn the same lesson twice.
11. Whenever you feel really strongly about something, take some time to look at it from the opposing point of view – Too many times, we get stuck in our ways based on our own past experiences, and totally forget there are three sides to every story – yours, mine, and the truth. You’d be surprised out how many times you’ll alter your view after you quite being so narrow sighted, and look at the broader picture.
12. Find what you love to do, then find a way to get people to pay you for it – As the old adage goes “If you love what you do, you’ll never work another day in your life”. Life’s too short to spend it hating your vocation.
13. Occasionally stop what you’re doing, and shake your booty – Random acts of dance really improve life!