The bananas foster is a member of the flambe family of desserts; it's prepared by adding alcohol to a hot pan, which in turn causes the dish to briefly ignite into flames.

Of course, where there's fire, there's always the chance that something could go wrong. Which is exactly what happened at the Ozona Blue Grilling Co in Tampa, Florida on Saturday night.

During a tableside presentation of two bananas fosters, the server noticed a small fire coming back into the bottle of 151 rum he was using the flavor the dish. At that point, he dropped the bottle, and it began spraying flames onto a family of four that was waiting to be served.

Two women had to be airlifted to Tampa General Hospital, where one remains with first and second degree burns.

As bad as the incident was, Palm Harbor Fire Rescue spokeswoman Liz Monforti said it would have been a lot worse if restaurant staff hadn't been so quick to douse the flames with fire extinguishers.

No word on whether anyone was fired.

[Tampabay.com]